Friday, January 14, 2022

Layer This (Ham and Potato Casserole)

I think I have mentioned that both of my Grandma's played bridge.  But my Grandma on my mom's side played ALOT of bridge (and this is an understatement).  Not surprising, there are plenty of recipes written on bridge score cards.  Actually, there are recipes on just about anything paper.  I have called this one "Layer This" because these are the first words you see. 

Actually,  I decided "Layer This" is the directions for
this recipe - plain and simple.  The cook has to make some assumptions about time and temperature, but honestly, I think all casseroles cook at the same temperature and for about the same amount of time.  350 degrees, 30 minutes. I didn't have Cheese Soup, so I substituted Cream of Celery - it turned out fantastic. I also cut this recipe in half, which was easy to do.

About that "score" on the tally.  Looks pretty impressive to me.  But then again, I
don't really know a whole lot about bridge - or who she was playing with on this day, etc.

Bubba called this comfort food.  He wondered if this was a German dish...no idea where that came from.  Perhaps it was just so good he was speechless.  Truth is, he was so focused on that disastrous chocolate cake I made he was unable to really to think about something good.  I made both of these on the same day.  I think he once again said something like "You really aren't a baker."


Layer This
2 1/2 C Ham
6 - 8 potatoes
2 onions
1 green pepper
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 can Cheddar Cheese Soup
1/2 c. cheddar cheese
Salt & Pepper
1 tbsp water

Here's what I did - Used Cream of Celery soup (it's what I had) - cut this recipe waaay down in size.  Baked at 350° for about 50 minutes (to get the potatoes nice and soft). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)