Friday, June 10, 2022

Spinach Balls

 

These wonderful little gems came from my Aunt's recipe box.  I don't know exactly why, but they really remind me of her.  I think I have said before, she was so down to earth, artistic and classy.  Like so many women of her generation, I think she worked most of her life at a school, not too far from home in Kansas.  But, when she  entertained, it was always done with a lot of thought, planning, preparation and taste. This aunt was my dad's sister.  She was the oldest of 3 children.  I have many memories of time with her and my Uncle Chet.  All good!  On a side note, I can hear her voice today, say to my Grandmother - "now Mother".  It's just those words, with her gentle tone, that make me miss her.

OK, let's get back to these spinach balls!  Personally, I think they are fantastic.  They are definitely in my "make again" category.  The next Christmas, New Year's, or party that is all about an appetizer - I am making these!.  They can be prepared ahead and frozen - LOVE that!!  And with 15 minutes of warm up these delights are ready to be munched on.  

I think it's possible that these might be too sophisticated and/or classy for Bubba.  He loved the flavor, but for some reason he got hung up on the green color. No matter how many times I told him they were spinach, he went on and on like "yea, but they are green, and somebody might not like green!"  It's safe to say - Bubba  's not built like Popeye!   After the 4th or 5th "bite" (Oh yea, one spinach ball = 1 bite, one of the many reasons I call him Bubba) he did say he thought this would be good at a party - but maybe not one with a lot of other Bubba's.  Oh well - he's too old to try and turn him in to a sophisticate.

Bottom Line - Make these!  I think you will like them - and they are easy!


PS:  I grabbed a bag of these and took them to a friends house for an appetizer before dinner.  They disappeared with some "yums" and "I want to make these" and maybe even spoiled some appetites.  Jill H. - here's the recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)