Friday, June 24, 2022

Peach Parfait Pie

 


This recipe is from the kitchen of: Wilma.  That would be my Grandmother.  But I didn't find this recipe in one of her boxes, I found it in one of my Grandma's recipe boxes.  Oh, the stories that have been told about these two.  Late in their lives, when they were both widow's and I was a high schooler, my Grandmother moved to town.  My Uncle and Dad had lived in our small town for years, and so it only made sense that one day she would move closer to a large part of her family.  My two Grandma's became dear friends and to this day I believe they helped one another live long in to their 90's. Between the two of them, nobody went hungry - nobody.  Churches, clubs (like Bridge, Literary, Bridge - I know it's here twice - there was that much bridge happening), family dinners, other families dinners - you get the point.

I don't remember this Parfait Pie, so I suppose it was saved for small groups and would have been under appreciated by her grandchildren.  Speaking of under appreciation, as I was making this, I realized how little I understand and appreciate how flavors and textures can come together and make something taste just right.  Lemon jello, mixed with peach juice and ice cream tastes wonderful. I used canned peaches but I would love to make this with fresh peaches.


Peach Parfait Pie (
Recipe from the kitchen of: Wilma)

3 1/2 C. sliced peaches sweetened or 1 29 oz. can peach slices.  1 - 3 oz. package lemon flavored gelatin. If using fresh peaches, let stand about 15 min after mixing with sugar.  Drain peaches (fresh or canned) reserving syrup.  1 pt. vanilla ice cream. 1 baked 9 in pastry. 1/2 C. whipping cream.
Add water to syrup tomato 1 1/4 cups - heat to boiling.  Add gelatin, stir till gelatin is dissolved. Add ice cream by spoonful to hot liquid. Stir till melted.  Chill till mixture mounds lightly when dropped from spoon.  Fold in peaches.  Turn peach filling into cooled pastry shell.  Chill till firm. Whip Cream.  Top pie with whip cream.

Pineapple Parfait Pie
1 - 8 1/2 oz can crushed pineapple.  1 - 3 oz. pkg lemon flavored gelatin.  1 pt. vanilla ice cream. 1 baked 8 inch pastry shell cooled.  Whipped cream. Follow directions above - Add water etc - 



I don't have any Bubba quotes on this one, but if actions speak louder than words, and I personally believe they do, the consumption of this was a positive sign.  He has long been a lover of custard pie, so to him, this was close.  I didn't have the heart to tell him this parfait pie was a long long way from being a custard.

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome! I am going to see if Alan wants to make this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)