Saturday, June 4, 2022

Cinnamon Tea Ring


I found this recipe, on a jigsaw puzzle of a cut out.  You'll see what I mean when you look at the picture.  It's yellowed and torn and I have no idea about the date of this "publication".  I do see a name on the recipe at the very top, that I think was from someone from our small town, and I am pretty sure my Grandma was her 1st grade teacher. 

I have no idea if she ever made any of these recipes, let alone the Cinnamon Tea Ring.  I chose to make this one out of all the recipes in the cut out because the dough looked simple. I love cinnamon rolls and I love yeast bread/dough.  There's just not much to day about this recipe, except it is easy.  Like any good roll recipe,  you have to patient with multiple rises, but it was worth it.  Bubba got home from his last baseball road trip just in time to snarf these down.  I call it "snarf" because one minute most of the ring was there and the next it was nothing more than a wedge.

Cinnamon Tea Ring
Two-thirds cup milk, scalded
1/4 cup butter or shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1 package yeast
1 egg
2 1/2 - 3 cups flour
2 tablespoons soft butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
Cinnamon

Add butter and sugar to scalded milk; cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast over milk; stir to dissolve. Add egg and half of flour; beat till smooth. Add enough remaining flour, a little at a time to make dough easy to handle; kneed until smooth.  Place in greased bowl; cover and let rise till double in size.  Punch down and roll out to a 15x10-inch rectangle, spread with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Roll up, beginning at wide side, seam side down.  Shape into a ring on baking sheet. Cut slits two-thirds of the way through ring, at 1-inch intervals; turn each slice on its side.  Cover and let rise until double in bulk.  Bake in 350 degree F. oven 25-30 minutes. Frost, while warm, with a mixture of confectioner's sugar, milk and almond extract.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)