Friday, February 4, 2022

Jiffy Potato Casserole/Scalloped Potatoes/Funeral Potatoes

 

I have come to the conclusion that hamburger and potatoes make up a good portion of the recipe boxes - 2nd only to a gazillion desserts.  Today's recipe is another good one that is found often on the internet.  I guess you could say it has stood the test of time.  I actually found at least 3 similar versions of about the same thing in the recipe boxes I looked through recently.  It's easy, comforting and delicious.  I didn't actually find a recipe titled "Funeral Potatoes" but I know for a fact that many of you reading this will understand the reason I added this.  These warm and comforting potatoes have been delivered to many a home in my neck of the woods when a family is mourning the loss of a loved one.  While I don't know this as fact, I feel I can safely assume both of my Grandma's delivered this dish to a family or church before or after a funeral. When I told Bubba the history of funeral potatoes, he was ready and willing to go to a lot of funerals.  After a good laugh about his new found willingness to attend more funerals, I decided that this must have been his way of saying he really liked them! (That was easy, as I seriously doubt he really wants to go to more funerals.)

Here are the versions found in the recipe boxes.  Of course, one is on a bridge tally!!! The basics are the same in all three, hash browns, couple of cans of soups, milk, sour cream, onion salt ( I used minced onion), cheese and maybe a crunchy topping. One version called for cornflakes, which I didn't have. Another called for some melted butter - I added that - who skips butter???

Jiffy Potato Casserole

Jiffy Potato Casserole

1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of potato soup
1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of celery soup
1 cup milk
1 carton (8 oz) dairy sour cream
1 package (2 lbs) frozen hash brown potatoes - thawed
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated cheddar cheese (optional)

Combine soups, milk and sour cream. Mix until smooth.
Add potatoes, salt & pepper.
Mix lightly but throughly, put mixture in pan, 9x13 inches.
Bake covered in 350° preheated oven about 1 1/2 hours.  Sprinkle top with cheese if desired during last 30 minutes baking time.  Twelve Servings.



Scalloped Potatoes

Calling these Funeral Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)