Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pineapple Cake

There are a few things to talk about with this Pineapple Cake recipe.  I could start with the "recipe card" itself.  Remember how I have mentioned that my Grandma would put a recipe on anything, well this is another example,  this recipe is written on the back of a "Continuing Census Card".  I can't determine when this census card was completed, and I wonder if it was actually used for anything.  I notice a few things, like the phone number is only 5 digits...even I remember when we didn't need to dial 10 numbers to reach some one.  Other information captured on the card includes basic information, Family Name, Occupation, Race, Address, names of children, ages, sex, place of birth and how far to schooI. I believe my Grandpa must have been the one involved in the census as the individuals information has been typed by that old black typewriter I remember so well. But, as these cards were either discarded or no longer needed, my Grandma realized they would make perfect recipe cards...thus the cake recipe on the back.
On to the cake itself, all I can say is YUMMY!  and Bubba agrees.  Admittedly, I frosted this cake with cream cheese frosting and let's admit it...I could put cream cheese frosting on the recipe card and it would taste good.  This is yet another easy, make that super easy recipe.  The only real challenge is one I have faced before with my Grandma's recipes, she lists the same ingredient twice with two different measures.  After searching for similar recipes (again, thank goodness for Google), I believe that the two measures should have been combined versus perhaps being two different ingredients or one of them could have been vanilla (which by the way, I did this research after making the cake, so it could have been even better).  I also cut this recipe in half which was easy math (even though my Grandma knows I could do more complicated math...after all, I had a good teacher!)
Pineapple Cake
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
1 T. soda
3/4 T. soda
1/2 c oil
2 eggs
1 large #2 1/2 can crushed pineapple
nuts
Mix dry ing. & add oil, eggs, pineapple (juice too) mix thoroughly. Bake in greased & floured pan. 25-30 min. 350 degrees.  Recipe from Bertha Fullerton, long time friend of my Grandma.
In cutting this in half, I used a small can of crushed pineapple and I used baking powder for the smaller soda measurement (wouldn't do that again).  1/2 of the recipe is perfect in an 8x8 baking dish.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)