Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cobbler

This screaming green recipe has been jumping out of my Grandma's recipe box at me for months now..it just says "make me, make me". So this weekend, I finally gave in and made this  Cobbler, Peach Cobbler as a matter of fact. It took me two, yes, two, tries, but I think I did a decent job. As you can read, this is another one of those easy recipes, almost too easy and I have gotten so used to "no directions" that when this recipe actually had some, I didn't see them. That led to me undercooking the first cobbler. The 2nd attempt turned out better.  Bubba, to no surprise, was looking forward to rating this dish, but as it came out of the oven and he took a look at it, it was clear this wasn't what he expected. He was expecting what I would call a crisp or a crumble. As I researched cobblers and crisps, I found that Bubba's confusion was not uncommon.  Cobblers, Crisps, Crumbles and Brown Betty's (as well as various other dishes) have a long history, back to the first American settlers.  They brought recipes like English steamed puddings with them but because they couldn't find all the necessary ingredients they would improvise, resulting in what became these traditional American dishes.  They are meant to be juicy and to use the fruits of the season (apples, berries, peaches, etc) and topped with some sort of crust, usually a biscuit crust (cobbler) or a combination of nuts, flour and sugar/spices (crisp).  Of note: my cobbler didn't have that "juicy" texture, which is why Bubba rated this lower than your average dessert.  I attribute the lack of juice to my cooking skills, not the recipe. 
Cobbler
3 tbs Butter (melted in an 8x8 pan)
1 C flour
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 C milk
Mix until mostly smooth, spoon over butter
1 #303 can peaches over batter, don't stir.
Bake 1 hour, 15 minutes at 375 degrees, or maybe 350 degrees.
I did not include the juice from the peaches, which I think is why my cobbler lacked that "juiciness"

1 comment:

  1. Peach cobbler puts me in mind of summer ... which would be most welcome indeed right now. It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)