Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pork Loin with Mango Chutney Sauce









I think I have mentioned a time or two that My Grandma's Recipe Box(es) is loaded with recipes for sweets. Honestly, I do enjoy baking, so this notion of cooking my way through her recipe box is going to work out fine, but I do need a break from bars, cakes and cookies from time to time.  So I decided to plan on cooking something different over the weekend.  As it turned out, while headed to the produce section of one of the grocery stores I frequent, I couldn't miss the huge display of mangos. They were beautiful and fragrant and the price was right at a $1.00 a piece.  So I bought a few mangos and a pork tenderloin and headed home to see what I could come up with. Now after living in Hawaii for 10 years, you'd think I would know exactly what to do with the mangos, and I do, if you count dicing them and eating them. I will admit,  I didn't even look through my Grandma's boxes to see if I could find something, I was frankly anxious to do what I usually do and surf the internet for a recipe.  I ended up making the following Pork Loin with Mango Chutney Sauce that I found at www.thatsmyhome.com. It required a Mango Chutney so I searched some more and found the following recipe for Mango Chutney at Foodnetwork.com from Paula Dean. While there aren't recipes like this in my Grandma's Recipe box, I think she would have loved this one.  She always wanted to go to Hawaii and even to this day I can hear how she would say the word "Hawaii'a" ( yea, she always kind of added this "a" sound at the end).  In a picture that is tucked away, she is dressed up in a "mumu" and sporting a plastic lei and the smile on her face is priceless.  In reality, that was about as close to an island as she got. Perhaps one of the few regrets I have is that we didn't make sure she visited us while we lived in Hawaii.  Any how...Here's to one I think she would add to her box, if for no other reason than the fact that it's a tropical type recipe.

Pork Loin with Mango Chutney Sauce
1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Dijon mustard with seeds
1 boneless pork loin roast (3 lbs.) well trimmed
Parsley sprigs for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).  In small bowl, combine bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup mustard.
Pat pork roast dry with paper towels. With hand, pat bread-crumb mixture onto pork.  Place pork on rack in small roasting pan (about 14 inches x 10 inches) and roast 1 hour and 20 minutes or until temperature on meat thermometer reaches 155 degrees, F. (Internal temperature will rise to 160 degrees upon standing.)
Transfer pork to cutting board; let stand 10 minutes.
In 1-quart saucepan, heat mango chutney, remaining 2 tablespoons mustard and 1/3 cup water over medium heat, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 1 minute.
To serve:  Slice pork.  Arrange pork on platter with parsley sprigs. Serve with sauce.





Mango Chutney
2 1/2 cups diced mangos
1 (1-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger
1 Scotch bonnet pepper, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins
Freshly ground pepper
Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 25 minutes, stirring often to keep from sticking.  Let cool, and store in an airtight container.


For the Chutney, I didn't have a scotch bonnet pepper, so I used the last jalapeno from my "so called" garden. Bubba rated this one a "7".

1 comment:

  1. It looks delicious!I came across your blog from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)