Monday, November 9, 2009

Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie

In my last post, I mentioned about how much my Grandma had always wanted to go to Hawaii and that I thought she would have included the recipe for the Pork Loin with Mango Chutney Sauce for it's tropical "flair", if for only that reason.  Well, in looking through her boxes to find something to cook this weekend, I came across another pumpkin recipe ('tis still the pumpkin season).  There are still several pumpkin recipes I need to make, but I decided to keep with my Hawaiian/tropical theme and make this Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie.  Now, I am not sure what made this "Hawaiian", maybe the little bit of ginger that is used in the pie filling and topping are what gives it it's name, I can't really be sure.  This pie is similar to a chiffon pie recipe I also found in one her many recipe boxes.  It is light and cool and the sour cream frosting adds a nice flavor to the sweet pie filling.  Bubba liked this one (well he likes them all really) and gave it an "8".  (I am feeling like I am really going to have to work hard to get anything above an 8, but on the flip side, I would have to work pretty hard to get below a 4 (remember the Tuna...he didn't even give me a 2 for that!).
Hawaiian Pumpkin Pie
1 tbsp unflavored gelatin
1/4 c. cold water
1 1/4 c. pumpkin
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs, separated
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp each nutmeg, ginger and allspice
1/3 c. granulated sugar
9 inch baked pie shell
Add gelatin to cold water, set aside. In pan combine pumpkin, milk, egg yolks (slightly beaten), brown sugar, salt and spices.  Cook for 2 minutes after boiling point, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add softened gelatin and stir.  Beat egg whites, light and fluffy, add sugar and beat until stiff.  Beat cooled pumpkin mixture until smooth then fold in egg whites.  Pour into baked pie shell and pile high.  Chill until set, then top with sour cream topping.  Serves six.
Sour Cream Topping
1 c. sour cream
1/ c. confectioners sugar
2 tbsp candied ginger or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
Combine sour cream and c. sugar and candied ginger.  Spread over top of pie and sprinkle over nutmeg. Keep chilled until serving time.


You'll note that this recipe is written on a Frisco railroad note pad.  This railroad doesn't exist in name any more, but what I find ironic is I don't live too far from a town called Frisco.  Many of the signs in the town are exactly like the logo on this note pad. If I hadn't taken on this little project, I don't know if I would have found this recipe (it was pretty "smushed" down in the recipe box) or that there was a link to my Grandma, right here in Texas.  Yes, it's a stretch, but to me it is still a link!  Coincidence, sure. Fate?  Maybe!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)