Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Banana Bars




As I have been pulling out recipe cards and putting them back in their recipe boxes, I have come across a few banana recipes, so I decided while I was shopping to add some bananas to our cart.  If we ate them through out the week, great! in fact, awesome!  'cause that would mean we had added some fruit to our diet.  If we didn't eat them, I knew I could find a recipe that wouldn't waste them.  Well, I guess you know how well we did on the fruit in our diet part.  This recipe has a few more ingredients than the last couple of posts, but true to the recipes I've come across so far, directions are a little light.  In general, I think I did pretty good, but I don't think I got the frosting quite right.  I didn't need any milk and it was a little "runny"  but still "yummy".  I have no real idea of the type of occasion my Grandma might have decided to serve this for.  This isn't one that has one of her bridge player or teacher friend's name on it so its hard to tell and I don't ever remember having this before.  I will caution you, it is a little sweet.  When I make this again someday, I might try this with less sugar.
Banana Bars
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs
1 ripe banana
1/3 c. milk
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c. nuts
Mix all ingredients except nuts. Beat 2 minutes.  Add nuts.  Put in 13 by 9 in. pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until done.  Cool on rack.
Frosting
2 tbsp soft butter
2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 medium banana
Beat until smooth and if too thick add milk.
Cut into bars and serve. 
This recipe might be one of the better things I have made since I started.  In fact, Bubba gave this a 9 on our 1 to 10 scale.  A nice change after my Tuna Casserole fiasco.  I guess that's the thing about baking, it's a little more of a science and following directions (even when there aren't a lot of them) should result in something edible.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)