Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Nut Fudge Cake


Ok, I am going to admit right out of the gate, this recipe was "hard". It is one that appears so old, it could have actually belonged to my Great Grandma.  It is these very kind of recipes I am avoiding as I look through my Grandma's recipes boxes.  See, this particular recipe has all kinds of things wrong with it as it is written on the card.  In fact there are so many things wrong, you should be asking me "why on earth did I make this in the first place if it is so bad?"  Well let me tell you why and then let me tell you what is wrong and then we can decide what to do with the end product (it could be another one of those trash can trips).  The "why" of all of this is because Bubba asked for it.  Now, I should have enough sense to look at a recipe and just say "no", but then again, I have committed to making everything in her recipe boxes (well, almost everything) and to just say "no" wouldn't have been the right thing to do.  On the surface the recipe looks ok, a chocolate cake with some chocolate frosting, how could I mess this up.  Well, let me tell you how.  First, I think when she or my Great Grandma was writing this recipe down, she wasn't focused.  Sugar is listed twice, with 2 different measurements, and the instructions (what few there are) indicated beating the butter and sugar together, but there isn't any butter listed as an ingredient, so I assumed that one of the sugars was actually butter.  Key, was deciding which one should be butter and which one should be sugar.  I don't have many real cooking skills, but I do know that I have never seen a cake with 2 cups of butter and so I decided that the 2/3 cup sugar was really butter.  Speaking of directions, they are hard to follow.  The instructions suggest that you use 1/4 cup of water to dissolve the cocoa...well 1/4 cup of water isn't going to dissolve a 1/2 cup of cocoa, so I ended up using the water and the milk, who knows if this was a good idea or not.  Vanilla is listed as an ingredient but no quantity is included, it says to fold "whites" in to the cake mixture but it never tells you what to do with the whites...I decided to beat them and fold them in after the nuts.  It doesn't give you cake size pan, a cooking temperature or a cooking time (My head is hurting just thinking about this and I haven't even started talking about the frosting).  I decided to put the cake in 2 round pans at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.  I decided to do this because the directions mentioned putting the frosting on the hot cake.  As it turned out, this probably wasn't the right idea.  Now for the icing, let me just say, it tasted good (how can powdered sugar, butter and cocoa not taste good?).  But again, I had to guess quite a bit on what to do, and when you see the recipe card, you will see why it was so confusing.  It mentions adding vanilla at least 3 time..geesh, she must have really been multi-tasking when she wrote this recipe.  (If you know my Grandma, what I would guess was going on was she was talking on the phone (her phone was ALWAYS busy!)).  OK, for the taste test, it tasted alright, but it shouldn't have been a layer cake, probably was meant to be a sheet cake, thus putting the frosting on a hot cake...I should know better.  While this didn't make it to the trash as quickly as the Tuna Delight, it wasn't far behind.  Oh well, on to the next recipe.  PS:  I am not even going to bother trying to write out the ingredients or directions on this one.  If someone really wants them, send me a note and I'll take a stab at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)