Friday, November 27, 2009

Butter Horns



As you might imagine, Thanksgiving and a 4 day weekend provide an opportunity to make several recipes from my Grandma's recipe boxes.  At one point, I was thinking that I would make everything we were having for Thanksgiving out of her recipes, but I admit, I gave up and some things are my own (or my mom's or the internet's).  These rolls, however did come from her, or rather her friends Mary and Alice (I think they might have been sister's in law).  They're not bad and I think I would try to make these again as they are full of that good yeast roll flavor, I just don't think I got the texture perfect.  For those of us who don't cook all that often, I think we all would agree that baking rolls and bread takes some practice.
Butter Horns
1 cup milk (scalded)
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. sugar
1 cake yeast (1 pkg)
3 beaten eggs
2 tsp salt
4 1/2 c flour (sifted)
Blend scalded milk, shortening and sugar. Cool to luke warm.  Add yeast and mix to dissolve.  Add beaten eggs and salt.  Sift flour once then measure.  Add flour and mix until smooth.  Put dough into a greased bowl and cover.  Let rise till doubled in bulk.  Divide dough into 3 pieces.  Roll each piece into circle about 9 in. diameter, butter each circle of dough, cut into 12.  Roll up in crescents.  Cover, let rise till doubled.  Bake at 400 degrees F about 13 to 15 min.

One of the things about looking through recipe boxes around a holiday is you can't help but recall some of the many Thanksgiving's gone by.  Many of my memories are of those that were at my Grandma and Grandpa's.  My cousins would come from Colorado and we would all play outside in the leaves while our Dad's watched TV (usually football) and the women cooked.  Fall in Nebraska can be beautiful and of course, Football is big!!  If it was nice enough to be outside football was our game of choice and we had many a good game on the front lawn, or in the street, or in the neighbors yard.  The food was always yummy and there was lots of it. The "adult" table was long and impressive with turkey center pieces and cornuopias and our "kids" card table was, well, ours!  While I think back, I have made a huge mistake by not honoring my Grandma this Thanksgiving with a Jello recipe...we always had a jello salad, sometimes with cranberries, sometimes not, maybe strawberry/banana jello or some good ole' lime jello with cottage cheese (I told you there are things I need to make that I am putting off).  As I sit here thinking about those good times, I can remember always taking some jello so I wouldn't hurt her feelings (I think we all did it), we would take just a little and put it on our plates, but I don't know if anyone ever really ate it..except my Grandma...she loved it, I knew it was the one thing she made for herself. My Grandma also had this great little Turkey shaped cranberry dish, it was used once a year.  The funny part was, on more than one Thanksgiving, the turkey dish and it's contents were forgotten in the refrigerator and it was the subject of many a good laugh for all when we went to put the leftovers away and there sat the cranberries in the turkey dish.  :)  Perhaps a little late, but Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)