Saturday, November 21, 2009

Chocolate Mint Cookies





Today Bubba and I were looking through recipe boxes for the weekends "treats" and as usual, we came across some sweets we wanted to try.  Now eventually I am going to have to cook some of her recipes that just don't appeal to our taste buds (like the Date Cake recipe) but for now, there are still plenty of yummy recipes to try.  The recipe included today was not one of her hand written ones, but was one of her newspaper clippings.  Based on the way the paper was folded these Chocolate Mint Cookies are probably what she had her eye on or it could have been the Ham Croquette recipe or the Hot Dip recipe, which while I am looking at it, I might try those soon too. I am not sure why these are called cookies, they are made in a pan and are more like brownies, but either way, I think you will like them.  I probably didn't get the mint cream filling thick enough as it didn't really set up even after refrigeration.  If I made these again I would use more powdered sugar or less milk than the recipe calls for. I used organic peppermint oil, and perhaps that affected the texture too. Also, note that the cookie layer directions don't indicate what to do with the butter, so I melted it with the unsweetened chocolate.

Chocolate Mint Cookies
Cookie layer:
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
Grease a 9x9 inch pan. Melt chocolate: cool. Beat eggs and sugar: add flour and chocolate. Stir until smooth. Spread in pan and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. Cool completely.
Mint Cream Filling:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon peppermint
Beat all ingredients together until smooth; add green food coloring, if desired.  Spread over cookie layer and refrigerate until this layer is firm.
Chocolate Glaze:
2 tablespoons butter
 2 ounces sweet chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla
Melt together and drizzle over cookie layers.  Cut into bite size pieces.

1 comment:

  1. What yummy little treats! I like the ooey-gooeyness of them. Mint and chocolate is a great combo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)