Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cinnamon Cookies


Recently a friend from high school dropped me a note and asked if my Grandma had any cookie recipes that would be good for a Christmas cookie sale.  I was actually very excited about this inquiry, because it gave me a sense of "mission" as I started thumbing through all her cookie recipes.  I will admit, I have pulled several out that have what I would consider to be "potential". The cookie recipe I chose today is titled Cinnamon Cookies. It isn't the recipe I started with, because, what I found was, that my Grandma wasn't opposed to the "2-sided recipe card".  Well, as I look at this one, it isn't even a recipe card, it is a post card.  Yep, I told you she would write a recipe on anything. These recipes are written on a "Happy Birthday" post card.  It's hard to read the recipe date, but it is dated 9/26/71.  Seems like a really long time ago.

Cinnamon Cookies
Mix 1 cup soft shortening - part butter (I used all butter)
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
Sift 2 3/4 c. flour or 2 1/2 
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
Roll in a ball the size of a walnut. Roll in mixture of 2 Tbsp sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.
Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned but soft. 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. 5 dozen cookies.

These are pretty easy, probably the hardest part is rolling them in the cinnamon/sugar mixture.  I used a cookie scoop that was probably a little too big (it's been a long time since I have seen a "whole walnut" - that's my excuse and I am sticking too it). In fact, mine were probably closer to golf ball size (ok, not really, but they weren't the size of walnuts either).

For Christmas, I like the idea of putting a dozen of these in a cellophane bag and add some ribbon or bows. I tried to get a rating from Bubba, but he was too busy eating them to give me one. Ultimately I think he gave them a 7 (He's too tough!).


4 comments:

  1. Oh I thought for sure Bubba would give those a 10!!! Just the finished product all wrapped up without even eating them would give that rating. They sure look good, I plan to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christy, I think Bubba should have given them a 10 too. Check it out, my cookies were published today on tastespotting.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - loved what she wrote on. It reminds me of my grandma. She would write on anything too. Once I got opened an evelope only to find another envelope inside - she didn't have paper but had envelopes so she opened up one evelope and wrote the letter on it then sealed it up in anothe evelope to mail.

    I would give almost anything if my grandmother had written down her recipes but she never did - they were all in her head I suppose.

    These snickerdoodles/cinnamon cookies look good. A perfect christmas cookie !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Disneypal, I thought of these cookies as snickerdoodles too. And I can relate to your envelope story, you should see the envelopes in her recipe boxes. In an earlier post I made one of the recipes I found on the back of an envelope.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)