Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Recipe with no name - turns out to be cornbread


So I found this bridge tally sheet folded and torn and tucked away in with the "breads".  It's contents included a score of "they" 400 and "we" 530, so I guess "we" won!!.  On the other side was a list of ingredients and only the "baking" instructions.  I could, however, tell by the contents, that I would be making cornbread. In my lifetime, I haven't been exposed to lots of cornbread, and even though we have spent the last six years living in the southwest it hasn't become a part of our "regulars".  Texas is surely home to many cornbread recipes given our closeness to the southwest and the link to Native Americans who were cooking using ground corn before the Europeans explored what is now the United States.  Cornbread was also popular during the Civil War because it could be baked (as with this recipe) or fried, which is common in many southwestern recipes.  While Bubba and I ate this cornbread, I was reminded of the best  I had ever tasted, which was made by his auntie. Honestly, the recipe seems to be a family secret so I have no idea what made it so good, I just know I liked it).  This one really doesn't compare to my favorite, but it's simple and easy...not a bad combination (specially if you can put a little butter and honey with it).  By the way, Bubba gave the cornbread a 6.

No Name

1 egg slightly beaten
1 c. milk
1 c. flour
1 c. corn meal
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp melted shortening
2 tbsp sugar
Bake 30 minutes in moderate oven




There you have it!

2 comments:

  1. We love cornbread and I make a lot of it. Sometimes I will put a can of creamed corn and diced roasted green chilies in it and serve with chili. When I was growing up mom would put cornbread in a bread pan and let it set up in the refrigerator, slice it and fry it and we would eat it with syrup or honey. Your cornbread is bringing back some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted you to know that your WY friends are faithfully following your cooking and Bubba's taste testing. We haven't made any of the recipes yet due to food allergies in the family, but I'm sure something is going to pop up one of these days that we can try!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)