Sunday, October 11, 2009

Chocolate Sheet Cake





I found this recipe for Chocolate Sheet Cake tucked in with some of the ice cream recipes in my Grandma's Recipe Box. Until I actually made it, it didn't occur to me how logical this really was.  This cake is so moist and the cooked frosting is like layering creamy fudge on top. I can only imagine what it would taste like with some home made ice cream.  I guess I'll have to save that for another day. I actually don't remember that last time I had "sheet cake".  It was probably served where there was a crowd,  a "chili supper" for the boy scouts or some other "fund raiser".   Wikipedia says the following about sheet cake: " A sheet cake is a cake baked in a large, flat rectangular plan such as a sheet pan or a jelly roll pan.  These single-layer cakes are almost always frosted, and may be decorated on the flat surface on the top.  In the United States, these inexpensive cakes are commonly available in grocery stores, and are often served at office and birthday parties."
Here's the Chocolate Sheet Cake recipe from my Grandma's recipe box:
2 C. sugar                             1/4 c. cocoa
2 C. flour                               1 C. water
1/8 tsp salt                             2 eggs
1 stick oleo                            1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c cooking oil                    1/2 buttermilk
                                              1 tsp soda

In sauce pan mix oleo, oil & cocoa & water.  Bring to boil. Pour over sugar, flour & salt mixture. Beat well. Add soda dissolved in buttermilk. Beat well and pour into greased cooking sheet. Bake at 400 (375) for 20 (25) minutes.
Frosting: Melt 1 stick oleo, 4 tbsp cocoa, 6 tbsp milk.  Bring to boil, mix in powdered sugar and pour over.  Add instant coffee - if needed.

Couple of comments about the recipe above.  Oleo is a term used for oils, in the case of these old recipes I am assuming they used margarine (I typically use butter). If you notice, the directions don't mention anything about the eggs.  I beat them with the sugar and vanilla, added the chocolate mixture and then the flour.  Also the frosting doesn't give much of an idea about how much powdered sugar..my guess is I added about 2 - 2 1/2 cups.  This was one of the more challenging recipe cards to read.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)