Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Dessert Squares - It's that time of year!





























In many places, including my home town, there's been frost on the pumpkin and it's early October.  Imagine that!  Now I love the fall and I love pumpkin "things", like pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin pie, and as of today,  these "Pumpkin Pie Dessert Squares" I found this recipe a couple of weeks ago, right about the time I heard there was going to be a pumpkin shortage.  Did any of you hear that?  I didn't quite panic, because much like my grandparents, I have a pantry, and sure enough, I had pumpkin, so all was right with the world and I could make this desert when the time was right. 

Today's posting isn't about the recipe for me.  Bubba and I have been taking pictures of food for a long time now.  In fact, I think "we" were doing this way before all these blogs started.  See, Bubba's mom and dad had this huge round table in the dining room of their house in Hawaii and whenever the family got together, the round table would be covered with plates and plates of food and we always took pictures of the table, ALWAYS!  Of course, our pictures were taken with our instant cameras and this was well before digital cameras were even heard of.  The pictures in all my previous posts have been taken much the same way, but today, I used my birthday present (a new camera) to take this photo...I have lots of learning to do, but I figure if I want one of my recipes to get published on a spot like Tastespotting.com or foodgawker.com, I have to "get with it".  Ok, speaking of getting with it...here's the recipe.

Pumpkin Pie Dessert Squares
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter or oleo melted
1 egg
FILLING
3 cups (1 1.b 14 oz) pumpkin pie filling
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
TOPPING
1 cup reserved cake mix
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c. butter or oleo


Grease bottom only of 13" x 9" pan. Reserve 1 cup cake mix for topping. Combine remaining cake mix, butter and egg.  Press into pan.  Prepare filling by combining all ingredients until smooth.  Pour over crust.  For topping, combine all ingredients.  Sprinkle over filling.  Bake 350 for 45 to 50 minutes until knife inserted near center comes out clean.  If desired serve with whip topping.


I think this is the first recipe card that I have shown that is typed.  Those from my family that read this will know exactly which type writer was used to type this.  I can still picture that old type writer today, in fact, when I think about it, I can even recall the smell of the type writer ribbon.  It reminds me of my grandpa...I remember him being the "typer" in the family, so I suspect he may have typed this recipe  for my grandma.  He was great at doing those kinds of things for her!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! Great picture/camera. I'm going to try this recipe this weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog on the Foodie Blogroll. I have my Mom's old recipe boxes and love going through them. It can certainly be bittersweet. This recipe looks great and looking forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)