Friday, October 23, 2009

Bar B Qued Beef





In my Grandma's Recipe Box, it is a lot easier to find sweets than it is main dishes.  This continues to feed my theory/belief that most of her recipes were acquired at some sort of social event.  As I flip through the boxes, I continue to search for "main" dishes, if for no other reason than we just can't simply eat all these sweets, but also, to continue to build upon my own cooking and photography skills.   Recently, as I was looking at the few "Meat" recipes Fyrne had in her box, I came across some very familiar hand writing on one of the recipe cards.  It is hand writing that for as long as I can remember I have wished I could replicate. I am not sure why I think like this, maybe it's because I see the hand writing as pretty and easy to read.  Or maybe the most important reason is simply, it is my mom's hand writing.  The recipe card includes another simple recipe for something anybody who eat's beef has to love. Bar B Qued Beef.  Now this recipe probably isn't something you would find in the recipe box of a Texas or Kansas City cook, but as a current Texas resident, I think that this is a good, easy BBQ recipe.  In fact Bubba gave this an 8 on our 1 to 10 rating scale.  As you'll see, this can work for a Brisket or a Chuck Roast.  I used a small Brisket cut and the only regret I had was that I didn't make more.  I decided to cut the slices thicker than you would with a brisket, more like a thick slice of roast beef, I would do the same again, but next time, I would also consider cutting it a little thinner.

Bar B Qued Beef
(Brisket & Chuck Roast) (5 1/2 lb roast)


At night - brush on 1 oz liquid smoke, add onion salt and garlic salt, and celery salt.  Refrigerate in foil over night.
In morning - add worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper and bake in 275 degree oven for 6 hrs. Open foil and add 1/2 bottle Barbecue sauce.  Bake uncovered for another 1/2 to 3/4 hrs.








2 comments:

  1. Sounds very good, I am anxious to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds great. I am a big fan of cooking meat for a long time at a low temperature. It seems to make the meat so much more tender, but we don't always get the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)