Friday, April 15, 2022

Honey Chews



This recipe, another yellowed newspaper tear out, has been sitting in my pile for a while.  It's difficult to tell where this recipe actually came from.  It appears to be from a food column called "Good Things to Eat".  This column is a culmination of recipes sent to the Cookery Editor, for Capper's Weekly, published in Topeka, KS.  The newspaper was published from 1913 to 1986 and it seems the geography it covered was limited, so perhaps she got this while traveling or someone ripped it out and sent it to her.  As I tasted these Honey Chews, the first thought that came to mind was how much our tastes have changed.  "Back in the Day" I think people had an appreciation for food on a different level.  Perhaps my thoughts are influenced by the fact that the recipe references the scarcity of sugar.  Most of us don't know what that is, what it feels like or even how to accept it.  There are so many ways to make these better, I am sure of it.  But they reflect the times she lived in...today, we are spoiled whether we acknowledge it or not.

Honey Chews

  A little bit of "sweetin' desserts' will still be welcomed, even tho sugar is scarce.  Use 1 tablespoon melted shortening, add 1 cup warm honey and 1 egg and beat well.  Add 2 1/2 cups quick oats, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 cup raisins.  Drop by teaspoons on a greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F. Makes about 40 "chews". 

It's a pretty simple recipe.  Bubba says "well, they ARE chewy".  I would maybe add a little cinnamon to these to give an additional flavor to them.  They just aren't sweet...despite all the honey!  Pretty healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)