Friday, April 22, 2022

Carrot Soup

I found this recipe for Carrot Soup in one of my aunt's recipe boxes.  She was always such a good cook, if for no other reason than the fact that she just plain loved to cook. Her recipe boxes contain a bunch of recipes that would be great for entertaining.  I think a difference in generations is that my Grandma's recipes are for entertaining, no doubt, but there are also many (and I mean many) that are just simply recipes for feeding the family.  I have to make a few guesses about this recipe - primarily, I am assuming my cousin - Karla - made this and my aunt copied the recipe from her - as her name is at the top of the recipe card.  We all know - many of the recipes we have, were "copied" from someone else.  Pretty sure that's the case here. Let me just say up front -  I would make this again - as an appetizer for some fancy dinner.

Carrot Soup

2# carrots clean & cut into sliced
4 C. stock or water & 2 Bouillon cubes
1 cubed potatoe        1 1/2 tea Salt
Cook 15-20 Min. until tender - Cool & the Puree in Blender.  This may be done ahead then add the rest when ready to eat.
In 3 or 4 T Olea Saute 1 or 2 cloves garlic, 1 C. Chopped onions  1/3 c. slivered Almonds.  Add to above & 1 3/4 C. sour cream or yogurt.  
2 C. Milk
1 1/2 tea. each - sweet basil - thyme - marjoram -
Reheat very slow - do not Boil - as soon as hot serve.

I cut this recipe in about 1/2.  I used vegetable stock and 2 chicken bouillon cubes and a whole potato.  I sautéed the garlic and onions in butter - omitted the almonds - and added my spices to the garlic and onions to bring out the spice flavor. I then poured the pureed carrots & potato in to the sautéed garlic and onions.  Since I didn't have marjoram on hand, I substituted oregano.  I also chose to use greek yogurt.

Bubba's not in town, so this was a good choice, as I am not too sure he would enjoy this soup - but then again - perhaps he would.  I thought it was really good.  The seasonings and the Greek yogurt really cut through the sweetness of the carrots.



 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)