Friday, April 16, 2010

Banana Nut Muffins with Oatmeal Streusel


It was a baseball weekend again and I had banana's from the week.  I didn't have time to find a banana recipe in my Grandma's recipe boxes so I just found one on-line.  This is from Cooking Light and is super easy. I didn't waste banana's and Bubba had something to take in his lunch during the week.  I think this is another recipe my Grandma would put in her box and I am sure I will find one very similar to this the next time I am thumbing through her boxes.
Banana Nut Muffins with Oatmeal Streusel
Yield: 12 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)

Ingredients

  • MUFFINS:
  • 1 1/2  cups  all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
  • 1/2  cup  whole wheat flour (about 2 1/2 ounces)
  • 2/3  cup  packed brown sugar
  • 2  teaspoons  baking powder
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1  cup  mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
  • 3/4  cup  1% low-fat milk
  • 3  tablespoons  canola oil
  • 1/2  teaspoon  vanilla extract
  • 1  large egg
  • 1/4  cup  chopped walnuts, toasted

  • STREUSEL:
  • 6  tablespoons  regular oats
  • 5  tablespoons  all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
  • 2  tablespoons  brown sugar
  • 2  tablespoons  butter, softened
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground cinnamon

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare the muffins, lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine banana and next 4 ingredients (through egg) in a bowl; stir well. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened; fold in walnuts. Place 12 muffin cup liners in muffin cups. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups.
To prepare streusel, combine oats and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Blend with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle streusel over batter. Bake at 375° for 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
241 (30% from fat)
Fat:
8.1g (sat 1.9g,mono 3.1g,poly 2.5g)
Protein:
4.6g
Carbohydrate:
38.9g
Fiber:
2.1g
Cholesterol:
23mg
Iron:
1.8mg
Sodium:
164mg
Calcium:
89mg
Laura Zapalowski, Cooking Light, MAY 2007

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)