Monday, December 28, 2009

Sometimes the best recipe is...No Recipe!

This is the first time in a few months where I have taken a 7 day vacation from posting.  I will admit, I have been enjoying the holiday season, too much, if you base the enjoyment factor on food and drink consumption.  Lots of cooking took place over the course of Dec 24th and 25th, and to be down right honest, we didn't make a single recipe directly from my Grandma's recipe boxes.   Yet,  our Christmas dinner was exactly like she would have prepared.  See, in our family, there really isn't a recipe for that truly special Thanksgiving or Christmas  meal.  Christmas dinner starts with planning and shopping days (and this year, thanks to my sister's enthusiasm, weeks) in advance.  The menu is almost always the same, with an occasional new twist added.  Frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way.  We had our  turkey, ham, gravy, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, dressing, cranberries, rolls, pumpkin pie, apple pie, chocolate pie, banana pie and cheese cake (yes..you read that right!).  This Christmas, cooking was truly a family affair.  We were cooking for 16 people with one oven and one refrigerator (thank goodness for Colorado snow!) We had to have a plan and everyone had a role.  We only referred to recipes twice, once for the rolls, in the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book and once at an online crock pot dressing recipe I found at Thanksgiving.  My mom had responsibility for the candied sweet potatoes and rolls, my dad was leading us through the turkey and ham preparation (and he was the master potato peeler), my sister and her friend prepared pie after pie and the gravy and I took care of the cranberries and dressing. With extreme orchestration, planning, cooperation and just good company, we prepared a meal for 16 friends and family and every dish was served hot!  We were so busy cooking, laughing, and washing dishes, that I didn't take many pictures, but the ones I did take will make for good memories.  We were blessed in so many ways and my mom, my sister and I made my Grandma proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)