Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Candied Sweet Potatoes

In my post Christmas post (that sounds kind of funny but that's what it was), I mentioned we didn't really follow recipes, which we didn't, but I thought I would share my mom's "recipe" for these sweet, yummy sweet potatoes.  My mom has been making these for as long as I can remember and it is one of our favorites.  If you could have heard us as we ate these, we kept telling ourselves how "healthy" these were. Sure, the yam is healthy, but after you smother it in butter, brown sugar, karo syrup and cream, something tells me we may have compromised the "healthiness" of this vegetable...after all, look at the name I give them...Candied Sweet Potatoes.  I should also note that I used a new lens to take this picture, I think it is working pretty good. You can actually SEE the butter..yum!  Thanks mom for the recipe!


Sweet Potato recipe:  5-6 Yams, peeled and cut into pieces about the same size.  Start in a pan of cold water and bring to a boil for about 15-20 minutes until slightly tender when poked with a fork.  Drain and put into a 9x13 slightly greased glass baking dish.  In sauce pan heat about 3/4 cup butter with 1 to 1 &1/2  cups of light brown sugar and about 2 tbsp light Karo Syrup and 2 to 3 tablespoons  of whipping cream, stirring continuously until butter and sugar are melted and blended with syrup and cream.  Pour over the cooked sweet potatoes and heat in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Can be cooked ahead of time, refrigerated and then reheated about 20 minutes before serving.  Baste potatoes with the sauce and serve.

1 comment:

  1. It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner without these! The leftovers are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)