Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tide, onions and frosting...it's all in the box

I thought it would be good to take a break from the cooking and reflect on a few things I have found in the recipe boxes. See, these boxes are so much more than just metal boxes with recipes in them.  If you take the time and look beyond the recipes themselves, there’s lots more to see.  This is what makes this fun and you won’t find what I am finding in cookbooks or on-line recipe sites. For example, many of the recipes have been cut out of newspapers and magazines, so what is on the back can be as interesting as the recipe itself.  On the back of one recipe is a grocery store ad that includes Giant Tide for $1.19 for 3 lbs 1 oz.  If I could pay yesterday’s prices for today’s 8.8 lb box of Tide, it would cost me $3.42 versus the $15.99 I paid (on sale on Saturday). And then there’s the recipe card that doesn’t really have a recipe on it, it contains the following information we all need to know.  :)
           
            “Do you know that boiled onions then served with creamed sauce or onions served in any manner will free children from worms” 




And for my mom, who I know makes a great chocolate cake with butter frosting, here’s one for you from Grandma’s recipe box.

Easy Butter Frosting
Beat thoroughly, 6 tablespoons soft butter, 3 cups powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk or cream and ½ teaspoon vanilla.  Coloring may be added.  Will frost a 2 layer cake.


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)