Friday, March 25, 2022

Vanilla Cookies DeLuxe


I think I found this torn out recipe in the green box.  I loved these cookies, not because they are the best tasting cookies I've ever had, but because of their originality.  The way these are made, no two cookies end up looking alike.  To me, they really are kind of old fashionedđź’›

This one is another yellowed and torn newspaper recipe.  It suggests these Vanilla Cookies DeLuxe should be a part of a Porch Snack.  That in and of itself drums up visions of the days when homes had porches, often with a swing and couple of chairs. (They never looked comfortable to me.)  People would actually gather on those porches and smile and wave as kids, neighbors and strangers walked or drove by.  I remember sitting in my Grandmother's carport (neither of them had homes big enough for a porch) a time or two in my small town - with my two Grandma's, learning the art of chatting, gossip, eating a cookie and waving.

I think the comment at the top of the recipe is what draws you to it.  "Nuggets of semi-sweet chocolate and pecans give this rich little vanilla cookie special flavor." The Porch Snack menu includes Cheddar Cheese Spread and Sliced Tomato Sandwiches, Vanilla Cookies DeLuxe, Iced Tea or Coffee.  Can't you just see it?

This article is by Cecily Brownstone, who according to Wikipedia and several other sources on the internet says she was a food writer, who wrote several cookbooks and articles about food over a period of 39 years. Canadian-born, Brownstone was the Associated Press Food Editor from 1947 to 1986—for thirty-nine years. During that time she was the most widely published of syndicated food writers. 

Vanilla Cookies DeLuxe

Ingredients: 1 1/4 cups sifted flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 1-3 (1/3) cup sugar, 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces, whole small pecans.

Method: Sift together flour and salt.  Cream butter and sugar; beat in egg and vanilla well. Stir in flour until smooth, then chocolate pieces (I used chocolate chips). Drop from tip of teaspoon onto greased baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart .  Flatten slightly with spatula dipped often in water; press a pecan on top of each cookie.  Bake in moderate  (375 degrees) oven about 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Cool on wire rack; store in tightly covered container. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.


Bubba is busy with baseball so he wasn't around to provide a review, so I'll give you mine.  These cookies aren't at all sweet and honestly don't hold a lot of flavor.  Simple ingredients, simple flavor.  Maybe these are a sign of the times - (oh, and the flour is sifted) today we load up our foods with sugars, fats and all kinds of stuff.  No regrets making these.  It leaves me with a sense of the times and days gone by.

1 comment:

  1. So interesting the research that goes with the recipe. So interesting and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)