Friday, February 25, 2022

Sloppy Joe's

Seems fitting to find a recipe for Sloppy Joe's  in a teacher's recipe box.  Both of my Grandma's were teachers, and so I am assuming they ate a bunch of cafeteria Sloppy Joe's over the many years they taught.  We all did - at least those of us who went to school in rural America in the 60's and 70's. Slap (or slop) some of that tomatoey, beefy mixture on a bun, add some green beans, a carton of milk and maybe a bag of chips and you had the Wednesday lunch special.

This is the simplest recipe I have found in the boxes so far.  Easy to read, simple directions and a young life of consuming these made it a near no brainer. I didn't use the tapioca to thicken this batch of Sloppy Joes (not something I keep hanging around the kitchen) but I did use just a little bit of corn starch.  Probably didn't need to even bother with that.
Bubba wasn't around for a taste test, but he'll get his chance.  I taste tested this by myself, decided they are exactly a cafeteria knock off.  Pretty bland, perfect for youngsters who don't like spicy foods and good cover for a bun.  Plain and simple!  Just so Bubba didn't miss out, I froze some for him and will "treat" him to these someday soon.

If and when I take another shot at Sloppy Joe's, I think I'll play around and come up with a grown-up version 😀




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)