Sunday, June 13, 2010

Strawberry Yum Yum

Alright, I must admit that when I found this recipe in my Grandma's recipe box, I had a "reaction" to the title.  I just wasn't really ready to take the recipe serious...I mean "yum yum", it almost sounded as if she consulted her first graders in the title of this recipe.  Of course, I know that wouldn't have been the case for a couple of reasons...1) She didn't create recipes, she just copied them, cut them out, typed them, wrote them (on anything that had room for a recipe) and 2) She wouldn't have made this for 1st graders...while they would love it (after all, it has some "yummy" ingredients) it was probably a challenge to take a freezer dessert to school.  One of the things if have found about the recipes in my Grandma's recipe boxes is that they are generally down to earth, easy for a busy mom or grandma.  The title for this recipe is "Right On!". It is easy, refreshing and "Yum Yum" captures exactly how you feel after you taste it.  It leaves you wanting more. It's cool, light and the crumb topping provides a great accent to the creaminess of the strawberry mixture.  Frozen fruits are so easy to use these days and I would consider using frozen blueberries instead of the strawberries.  Imagine serving a pan of the strawberry and a pan of this in blueberry for the 4th of July...it could look very patriotic.  My Grandma loved the 4th of July!!!  I'll have to save that for another day!

Strawberry Yum Yum
1 c. flour
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. chopped nuts
2 egg whites
1 c. sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 - 10 oz Pkg frozen strawberries
1 large carton cool whip (I used Cool Whip Free)
Mix the first 4 ingredients until crumbly and press into an 8x8 inch pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Cool and break into crumbs.  Combine egg whites, lemon juice, sugar and strawberries and beat at medium speed for 15 minutes.  Fold cool whip into strawberry mixture.  Put half of crumbs in 9x9 pan, spread strawberry mixture over crumbs.  Top with remaining crumbs and freeze.


This recipe was written on the back of a census card...the blank backside really did make a good recipe card!

3 comments:

  1. My great-grandma made a dessert called Lemon Yum Yum (not a freezer desert). The title always caused a reaction in me too. But I'm glad you found the title accurate! Great idea for the 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure! This is my first visit to your blog and I've spent some time play catch-up with your earlier posts. I love your recipes and will be back often to see what else you've been cooking up. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. MM - Glad you had a chance to stop by...yes, I am still thinking about the Yum Yum :)

    Mary - So glad you found some time to look at some of my Grandma's recipes. Keep checking back...I have so many more to prepare and write about.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)