Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Agatha's Blueberry Buckle

It's not blueberry season, and I don't know if you have seen the price of blueberries in the store lately, but they are darned expensive.  I know because I keep checking the price of fresh berries because I have wanted to make this Blueberry Buckle recipe for some time now.  I finally decided that I was going to have to find an alternative, and boy, did I.  Wal-mart (my Grandma loved shopping, so I know she would have loved "my" Wal-mart - it's huge) has some great frozen fruits under their "Great Value" brand..and the blueberries, although frozen, when thawed are big and juicy.  This recipe card is a rather "catchy" one, it is one that is "professional" and I didn't have to try and figure out what the ingredients where or what to do with them once I figured it out.  But what I did decide to understand is where this cute card might have come from.  If you'll notice it has the name Red Farm Studio on the bottom of the card.  After doing a little research (Have I mentioned how much I like Google?), I found out that Red Farm Studio, makes greeting cards and coloring books...right up my dear Grandma's alley!!!  I suspect she ordered something from them for school and the recipe card was included..she neatly stapled it to a recipe card, and here we are.  Bubba loved the Buckle...that's all I need to say.
Agatha's Blueberry Buckle
Mix together thoroughly 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 1 egg.  Stir in 1/2 cup milk.  Sift together and add 2 cups flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt.  Blend in 2 cups well drained blueberries.  Spread batter into well greased and floured square pan.  Sprinkle with following mixture: 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup sifted flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/3 cup belted butter.  Bake at 375 degrees about 35 to 40 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Blueberries are my favorite fruit, but it's a bummer that fresh are so expensive. I usually fall back on frozen too. This buckle looks fantastic! And I love how you solved the mystery of the recipe card. How fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)