Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Turkey or Chicken Casserole


Like many of you, we had plenty of turkey left over from Thanksgiving and I was just waiting for the opportunity to put at least one of my Grandma's casserole recipes to good use.  I should start off by saying that Bubba was quick to give me a rating for this recent recipe, which I attribute to the fact that I had "shut him out" on the last recipe.  All that said, he kindly gave this Turkey (or Chicken) Casserole a "7".  Yep, that's right, a "7".  I may as well have a 3 to 8 scale, since I don't think I stand a chance of anything less than a 3 or higher than a 8.  My Grandma, the teacher, would probably coach Bubba on how to grade on the curve...except there is probably one problem, she taught 1st grade and I think the scale was simply Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory (no curve).  In fact, as of this moment, in honor of my Grandma, I am changing the rating scale, it's either S or U, or I guess I could add S+.  Bubba will learn of the new rating scale when he reads this...I'll let you know how he reacts.  Back to the food...this recipe is tasty and a good use of left over turkey.  I made it a day ahead and I am glad I did, I think the time it had for the flavors to meld was worth it.  I also took the opportunity to use some of the remaining green onions from Thanksgiving and probably added a little more green pepper than the recipe called for.


Turkey or Chicken Casserole
1 1/4 cups spaghetti (broken into pieces)
1 1/2 to 2 cups cut up cooked fowl (who calls it fowl these days?)
1/4 c. diced pimentos
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. chopped small onion
1  can condensed cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
1/2 c. turkey broth or water (I used chicken broth left over from Thanksgiving)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 3/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
Early in day or night before, if preferred - cook spaghetti, as package directs, drain.  Place turkey, pimento, green pepper and onion in 1 1/2 qt casserole.  Pour in mushroom soup and turkey broth, add salt, pepper and 1 1/4 cups of grated cheese and spaghetti.  With two forks, lightly toss until all is well mixed and coated with sauce.  Sprinkle remaining 1/2 c. grated cheese on top of turkey mixture.  Chill about 1 hour before dinner.  Heat oven - Bake casserole mixture until bubbly through out. (I baked it at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes, it was very cold as it had been in the refrigerator for 24 hours.


1 comment:

  1. This is so cool. Just found your blog through the foodie blogroll. I have loads of my grandmother and my DH's grandmother's recipes, I love the way you are using yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)