Monday, December 7, 2009

Spicy Buffalo Chili


It was an unusually cool weekend in Texas, not that we don't have cool weather here, we just don't get as much of it as Nebraska, Wyoming or Colorado (some of my favorite places).  I was also anticipating the big football game between my beloved Cornhuskers and the Texas Longhorns and was looking for something we could eat while watching the game...hence "Chili".  Not long ago, I purchased some ground buffalo meat because I had been hearing about how it's all some people will buy, and decided it was time I check it out.  Now, logically (or not) you might think that my Grandma would have a recipe for Buffalo chili in her boxes, but that isn't the case.  Now really, other than she grew up in the early 1900's (Little House on the Prairie era-sort of), and I suspect she could have ridden in a covered wagon across the plains and could have experienced a real live buffalo on the prairie, I am not sure why I would think she would have a Buffalo Chili recipe.  Any way, I went on my internet search and found a recipe similar to the attached recipe.  I made some edits because I didn't have the exact ingredients and I would definitely use buffalo again and I would make this again, with some modifications to meet our tastes.  None the less, here is the recipe adapted from a Spicy Buffalo Chili recipe by John Mitzewich at Americanfood.about.com

Spicy Buffalo Chili
1 tablespoon olive
1 pound ground buffalo mea
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 can (14-oz) diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chili powder (I used less, more by mistake but didn’t regret it..this is spicy so it depends on how much you like this kind of chili flavor)
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 cups beef broth, or water
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained
 water as needed
In a large pan, over med-high heat, cook the buffalo in the oil until browned and broken in small pieces. Add the onions and red pepper and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. 
Combine the remaining ingredients in your crock pot, add the meat and cook on low for 8 hours.

1 comment:

  1. I doubt if I could source Buffalo very easily, but some good Scotch Beef might do the trick. Looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)