Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pictures on a recipe card...Priceless!


As I continue to make my way through the recipe boxes, I am finding all kinds of things to cook and write about.  Today's recipe isn't one that I could see myself making but for the fact that it was in one of my Grandma's recipe boxes.  In fact, I'll admit, I went in to preparing this recipe thinking I would make it, see how it turned out and dispose of it before Bubba ever laid eyes on it. Obviously I didn't have high expectations for my abilities or for the actual taste of the "Golden Sausage Roll".  What drew me to this, first and foremost, was the accompanying instructions or more truthfully, the picture that was included with the instructions. I mean really, how could you not see the picture below and not smile and think "Gee, I think I know what to do with this".  Now, I don't know if my Grandma actually drew this or her friend Merle did (As you can see on the card, she notes that this is Merle's recipe.)  but either way, the image is priceless.
 

Golden Sausage Roll
2 lbs pork sausage
3-4 golden delicious apples, pared, cored and diced to measure 3 cups
1 onion, chopped
2 cups soft bread crumbs
1 egg slightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt


1 onion sliced
2 golden delicious apples
1/4 c butter
parsley
pitted ripe olives
dash of pepper


Roll out sausage between 2 sheets of heavy waxed paper into a 12 inch square.  Mix together diced apples, chopped onion, bread crumbs, egg and seasonings.  Spread on sausage and roll up.  Place in a baking dish seam side down and bake 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes until browned.



Core remaining apples, but do not pare and slice into rings.  Saute apple rings and sliced onion in butter until golden.  Garnish baked roll with onions, apple rings with olives in the center, and parsley.


I used Jimmy Dean sausage and since I wasn't planning anything fabulous with this recipe, I omitted the olives as you can see in the picture. Actually, when I look at this picture it reminds me of some of the pictures in the old red checkered Better Homes and Garden's Cook Book. If you don't believe and you have an old cookbook, take a look, you'll see what I mean.  Honestly, this was a rather tasty dish if you like pork sausage and stuffing.  The combination of the apples, onions and the flavor from the sausage did come together nicely.  Bubba, tasted it and gave it a 7+ on our scale and he wouldn't let me get rid of it as I had planned...guess the Golden Sausage Roll will be making an appearance as a left over this week.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. As time permits I will do my best to respond...My Grandma would expect me to :)